Wild Turkey

Alas, the title of this post does not refer to the kind of bourbon I like to drink. For the record, I prefer Basil Hayden, or Michter's. Yum. Anyway, the other day as I walked through the second parlor - we have two - I just happened to glance out the window to see a rafter of wild turkeys (yes, a group of turkeys is called a rafter) strutting around in the same lot in which the deer of an earlier post were grazing just north of the north yard, or south of the church, whichever pleases you. There they were. And they are kind of eerie when you see them, kind of prehistoric, or at least ancient in feel. Kind of fabulous.

Well, of course, I wanted a photo, but the camera had made its way upstairs. Dang it. I ran and got it, but by the time I got back to the parlor the rafter was gone. (I love my new word!) I just knew they had to be headed up into the woods, so I decided to head them off. I ran like a bat out of hell up through the back yard and then north along the timberline to where they were probably headed. They weren't there. I stood very quietly and heard them carrying on a little to the west. I headed over that way but they heard me. I managed to get some photos, but it was dark in them there woods so the photos didn't come out well.

Did you know that turkeys can fly straight up into the air if they need to and then head the direction they want to go? Did you know that turkeys roost in trees at night? Did you know that great big turkeys look just plain silly sitting at the very tip top of a skinny tree trying to get away from little ol' me?

They're hard to see, but can you see their beedly little eyes glowing?































Turkeys in flight:














Can you see the one turkey sitting in the top of this very skinny tree?