The Nuthatch

Believe it or not, the title of this post does not refer to where I live, or where I should live, although truth be told, both is probably true. No, in this post, nuthatch refers to the newest visitor we have to our bird feeders, and of which I have photos. There are other bird visitors to the new feeder I have now placed in the south yard outside the kitchen door, but I have not gotten out there to take a good look and I'm afraid I'll need a telescopic lens to get decent photos of any birds at that feeder as it is up in the tree.

Tom and I went to Ward's Nursery, a place where I envision myself spending lots of money in the coming years. They have lots of bird feeders, in addition to lots of plants and other goodies for the yard. During my last trip there I bought my new feeder, more feed, and a very good book entitled, "Birds of Massachusetts". This little book has already come in handy. I skimmed through it the other day in order to prep myself for other potential visitors, and danged if I didn't get the book just in time. The next day, as we're sitting having breakfast, I see a bird land upside down on the bird feeder and I new instantly what it was: a White Breasted Nuthatch. These birds climb down trees, upside down, because it helps them find seeds and bugs that birds who look up trees will miss. "Nuthatch" is the English version of of some other language that named the bird describing what the bird does; when they get a seed, they supposedly wedge the seed in a crevice and then hack (hatch) at it to open it.