Jesus Loves Me

One morning as I was fixing breakfast, I made Mickey sit down at the table and take dictation so that he could do some practice handwriting and spelling. I didn't know really what to dictate, and then it popped into my head that I should teach him Bible songs, just as Grandma Stover did with me when I was Mick's age. So, I dictated Jesus Loves Me, and then I taught him the song. We practiced it many mornings as I drove Mick to Tom's office, where Mick would hang out before Tom would later take him to summer camp.

Then one evening as I sat in the den watching the evening news and Tom compulsively pulled Japanese knotweed out of the rock garden behind the house, Mickey played in the sprinkler and sang his new found song. He sang and sang and sang. Luckily I had my wits about me enough to grab the camera. How I love my son.