Christmas 2008 - Part One

So, we pondered whether we should have a Christmas tree or not. The cons were that the house is a screaming mess, I mean, we're up to our eyeballs in boxes, dust and dog hair. It feels a bit pointless trying to decorate nicely for Christmas when all around you is chaos. But how could we not? We have a five year old in the house, for God's sake! And me.

We had originally intended to purchase our tree at the Holiday Fair at Mickey's school, a fundraiser for the PTA. I had volunteered to man the Christmas tree sale booth for an hour, from 1:00 to 2:00, but when we got there around 11:00 all but two of the trees had been sold and carted off. I came so close to buying two trees just so I didn't have to honor my hour of volunteer time, but the trees were white pines and I just couldn't bring myself to coughing up money for trees you can't decorate! Well, I was eventually saved from honoring my volunteer hour as two families happily scooped up each of the trees.

We purchased our tree from Ward's, the lawn and garden shop I'm going to be shelling over a lot of money to in the years to come. We also purchased a nice little wreath for the front door. Someday I'd like to trek up through the woods behind the house and find a tree to cut down and drag home, just like in Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory."

Christmas trees are so magical. I love sitting in a room all alone with a Christmas tree, all the other lights in the house off, no music or TV blaring, just the quiet of the house and the quiet of the lights. It's very peaceful and calming.

Tom took some photos of Mickey and I decorating our little tree. I have no narration to share, the photos tell everything.