New Bird

We have a new bird at the feeder, but we don't know yet what it is. One evening, while Mickey and I were doing his homework at the table, we saw it visit the feeder. I grabbed the camera and took a few photos and exclaimed, "Oh, how will I ever figure out what kind of bird this is?" With great comic timing, and saying nothing, Mickey went to the buffet, picked up a book and plopped it on the table in front of me. It was our "Birds of Massachusetts." I know, you had to be there, but it was quite funny. Silently, his gesture said loudly, "Dipstick." Made me laugh. The book says it's either a House Finch or a Purple Finch. Either way, the bird in the photo is a female. The male version of both those birds has a lot of red on them. The male has visited, but was too quick for the camera.














Mickey picked up the camera to try to get a good shot of the bird, too. I like the composition of his photo very much. Artsy, don't you think? And look at those autumn colors outside.