Tufted Titmouse

Not long after the chickadees found the window feeder, we began to have an occasional visit by a pointy headed bird that was in and out faster that the darned chickadees. He was so fast I couldn't get the camera pointed fast enough, and I was the only one who got to see him. Then I noticed that once the chickadees were so comfortable at the window feeder that they would sit inside the feeder and graze instead of grabbing a seed and flying, the pointy headed bird came around more often. But he was still too fast for me. Well, the other morning, after I scared away a flock of wild turkeys in the side yard - I didn't mean to scare them away, and that will be another post - I saw several pointy headed birds taking turns at the window feeder. I decided to sit at the window, camera cocked and ready. After I shot my prey, I headed to the computer to do a little research. What we have here is a Tufted Titmouse. "Tuft" refers to the crest or point on his head. "Tit" is Scandinavian for small, and "mouse" is the English version of "mase", which means bird, so, small bird.